Eating-up Stratford
Bite by Byte

Saturday, June 19, 2010

World Cup Breakfast at Molly Bloom's Irish Pub

Ah, the FIFA World Cup is back - that magical time every four years when it's perfectly acceptable for me to start drinking in the morning and continue all day! My favourite Stratford watering-hole is Molly Bloom's Irish Pub, and last Saturday morning you could find me checking out the footie with a pint in my hand, enjoying a fine breakfast in front of their brand new widescreen!
Molly's owner-operator Rob Wigan shares the World Cup spirit in a big way: he's opening at 9 am every morning during the next month of soccer action (June 11-July 11), taking advantage of the generous expansion of opening hours that bars in Ontario have been afforded due to the time difference between here and South Africa. I showed up bright and early on Saturday and we enjoyed an exciting early match between Argentina and Nigeria. 
As we watched the game I hunkered down on the World Cup Breakfast Special: two eggs any style, with bacon, toast, homefries and coffee. OK, I skipped the coffee and ordered a pint of cider.
Then another...
Next thing I knew, it was time for the big match of the day, between England and the United States. Molly's back room was filled with UK football enthusiasts, and the mood was electric as the Yanks gave the Brits a serious run for their money, ending-up in a tie game that was clearly disappointing to the soccer-mad English fans. Molly's authentic pub atmosphere was the perfect venue for a room full of rampant World Cup followers: I found myself getting caught-up in the excitement as the crowd leaped to their feet cheering at every goal opportunity and spectacular save.
It turned out that the hearty pub breakfast was the perfect meal to start off a day of drinking and World Cup revelry at Molly's. But Rob and his wife Candice (above) assured me, "The breakfast is great, but if you really want to check out the food you have to come for dinner!" I am definitely going to have to take them up on that with a follow-up blog checking-out the impressive menu they have on offer at Molly's. I just have to decide whether to come on a Monday to try their half price burger, Tuesday to chow down on some 35 cent jumbo wings after 4 pm, or Wednesday for all-you-can-eat fish n' chips!

If you want to find me during the World Cup it's a good bet I'll be down at Molly Bloom's Irish Pub from morning to night for the next four weeks. I'll be the guy cheering on Italy: Forza la squadra Azzura!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Uh, I guess from now on "I'll be the guy cheering on..." Argentina?

    ReplyDelete