Eating-up Stratford
Bite by Byte

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bieber-Blog 1.0

OK. There's an elephant in the room, and it's about the size and shape of a sixteen-year-old kid with a sweeped-out lid. I can't ignore it any more - if I'm gonna talk about Stratford's food scene, sooner or later I gotta talk about Justin Bieber (our town's most famous local by far). So let's do this!

My decision to "go there" re: the Beebs was prompted by a cool recent addition to the Stratford Tourism Alliance's website: the "Bieber-iffic Map to Stratford" just came out, and it points out some of the food spots JB likes to hit when he's in town!

Like Madelyn's Diner on Huron Street:
"Justin’s mom’s favourite Stratford restaurant was a popular spot for family meals out. Also a favourite spot for Northwestern students to have breakfast. Justin’s favourite dish is spaghetti though!"
I visited Madelyn's yesterday and showed them the map, which they hadn't seen yet. Everyone was pretty nonchalant about being singled-out as the favourite eatery for one of Canada's most famous families. When I asked for a comment from Adam, the manager on duty yesterday, he shrugged and complimented the Biebers for being "Nice people". When I asked him if Madelyn's was ready for a stampede of tweenaged girls coming this summer to eat at the same place as their idol, he was cautiously optimistic, "I hope so!"
No one could tell me what Justin Bieber orders when he comes in, so it was up to me to guess for myself. Hmmm....

Well, the map says that his favourite thing to eat is spaghetti and meatballs, but sorry dude, they don't serve it at Madelyn's (Justin, you might want to try Pazzo's for the best pasta in town now that you're all blown-up).

The map mentions that Madelyn's is a hot breakfast spot for kids from Justin's old school, Stratford Northwestern. But it also highlights Features, home of the belly-busting Paul Bunyan breakfast, as his favourite breakfast spot, so I didn't order from Madelyn's all-day breakfast menu.

The sign out front encouraged me to "Seas the Moment" and get some of Madelyn's fish and chips, which are known as the best in town. Or maybe I should have tried the pulled pork sandwich, a big favourite that uses local Perth County product.   

I pondered my choices as I sat on the vast covered patio that flanks the diner. A great place for a cold beer on a hot day - sorry Justin, you'll have to wait until you're 19!

Then it came to me. What would a young, funky Canadian boy chow-down on when he visits his hometown after jet-setting around the world? 

Of course: Poutine!

I ordered the poutine, and it was killer (Madelyn's version of Canada's national fast-food treasure consists of hand-cut fries, melted cheddar cheese, and tasty gravy).  

I could be wrong though, so Justin, if you're out there reading this, leave a comment and let me know what you like to order when you go with your mom and the fam to Madelyn's! Justin's fans - take a guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment